Welcome to my photography blog where I will share with you my photographic efforts and some of the stories behind these photos. I am keen amateur photographer and took up the hobby in September 2011. In November 2012 I self published a charity photographic book on Amazon "Beating Bowel Cancer", which contained my photographic efforts to raise money for the charity of the same name. I enjoy the challenge of learning new techniques and photographic composition. I might not always get it right, but I have great fun trying...

Wednesday 4 December 2013

Floods


What a difference a year makes. November 2012 saw rain, rain and more rain with a bit of snow added into the mix. As I touch a piece of wood as we enter the last couple of weeks of Autumn 2013 the mad weather of last year has not yet repeated itself. The flooding was of course pretty devastating for many communities. I live on top of a hill so I am not at risk at home. Work is a slightly different matter being so close to the river and I did find out some months later that it was only emergency pumping that stopped my business estate from flooding. The fields on the farm at work are only a couple of hundred metres from the river Thames and it was no surprise when the river broke its banks. The flood water bypassed the estate and flooded the fields next to us. This gave me the perfect opportunity to get my camera out and it was a pretty amazing scene. This single tree usually stands above rapeseed or corn plants, but it was now completely surrounded by the flood water. I played around in editing with colour filters mostly because on the day I took the photos it was pretty grey and dull and I wanted to bring some colour and vibrancy to the scene. 

The two photos below were taken from pretty much the same position, the first one just tweaked with the colour filter, and the lower picture taken in 3 parts using the panoramic setting. I love trying out different ideas on capturing the same scene.






No comments:

Post a Comment