Welcome to my photography blog where I will share with you my photographic efforts and some of the stories behind these photos. I am keen amateur photographer and took up the hobby in September 2011. In November 2012 I self published a charity photographic book on Amazon "Beating Bowel Cancer", which contained my photographic efforts to raise money for the charity of the same name. I enjoy the challenge of learning new techniques and photographic composition. I might not always get it right, but I have great fun trying...

Monday 25 November 2013

The Unicyclist


Welcome to the first blog showcasing my photographic efforts, and for the first photo we go back to a cold Saturday morning in January 2013 on the promenade at Prestatyn in North Wales. Every year at this time I make a weekend pilgrimage to North Wales to see my favourite band The Alarm who I have been following now for over 30 years. This annual event known as The Gathering draws fans in from all over the globe and many make a much longer trip than my 450 mile round trip. I have going to the event for the last 12-13 years, sometimes with friends and sometimes like this year I went on my own. Going on my own lessens the potential for hangover damage and also gives me time to get out and about with my camera, but it does limit the laugh factor that you get on a weekend away with best mates.

Living in Reading I don't get too many opportunities to do seaside photography, and it wasn't exactly summertime traditional seaside weather, but as you can see I captured a very unusual scene. As soon as I saw the unicyclist I grabbed my camera surreptitiously as I wanted to capture him in action without him putting on a performance for me. I decided that the best setting on the camera was the hi speed burst setting. As he went by I already had the background so it was really a case of snapping away and seeing how good a shot I could get.

As far as the composition goes I was really happy with the photo. There is plenty going on. Aside from the unicyclist there is the lively Irish sea in the background along with the fishermen at the other end of the promenade. I think the fishermen really add to the photo as I not only wonder about the unicyclist, but also what drives men like these to spend their day fishing in Arctic like conditions.

In editing I decided to go for a predominantly black and white photo. I used selective colouring to isolate the marvellous red hat he was wearing and then really just tweaked the contrast a little. I am glad I captured this shot as in 2014 the event moves back to the more stately surroundings of Llandudno a few miles further along the coast and I doubt that I will get quite the same opportunity, but then again who knows???

No comments:

Post a Comment