Welcome to my photography blog where I will share with you my photographic efforts and some of the stories behind these photos. I am keen amateur photographer and took up the hobby in September 2011. In November 2012 I self published a charity photographic book on Amazon "Beating Bowel Cancer", which contained my photographic efforts to raise money for the charity of the same name. I enjoy the challenge of learning new techniques and photographic composition. I might not always get it right, but I have great fun trying...

Wednesday 27 November 2013

Sunsets Everywhere I Go


Over the last couple of years I have become very appreciated of the sights all around me and none more so than sunsets, and the fact that it really doesn't matter where you are they can be amazing. The landscape view was taken in October on the A40 between Oxford and Witney. I was taking my mum up to see my sister and her family, and as we approached Oxford we could see this marvellous sky scape. Fortunately I had my camera in the boot of the car so we pulled over in a layby and I climbed up the bank to get the above shot. I used the panaromic setting on the camera as it was impossible to get the whole view into one shot. I was able to stitch 3 photos together in editing to get the final shot. Mum also got involved as was clambering up the bank herself to get a photo on her camera!

A month earlier I was driving back home to Reading when for miles I could see this wonderful setting sun behind the clouds. I was able to pull over on the side of the busy A4 and get my camera out. As you can see from the TV aerials the location didn't matter. In this instance I wanted to get as much of the sky into the shot as possible so took the photo in a portrait layout


Getting a shot from Eton looking towards the M4 and this stunning orange sunset was a particularly pleasing photo. In fact I was so happy with the photo that I included it in the Beating Bowel Cancer book. I love the way the busy M4 provides the perfect subtle foreground to what was a beautiful sunset. Once again it was a case of pulling over onto a grass verge on a dual carriageway and taking the shot there and then. It certainly pays off to keep a camera in whatever vehicle I am driving when possible.


The final shot was taken in the car park of the St George & Dragon pub in Wargrave as winter neared its end in March 2012. This was a very spontaneous shot as I was driving home and I knew that the view across the river looking westwards is very picturesque. In some ways the sunset was less interesting on this oaccasion due to the lack of clouds, but the reflection in the still river made for a good photo opportunity. This was the venue of my parents wedding reception some 50 years earlier!


The opportunities for sunset photography are endless and no doubt I will be adding to this collection of photographs.


No comments:

Post a Comment