Welcome to my photography blog where I will share with you my photographic efforts and some of the stories behind these photos. I am keen amateur photographer and took up the hobby in September 2011. In November 2012 I self published a charity photographic book on Amazon "Beating Bowel Cancer", which contained my photographic efforts to raise money for the charity of the same name. I enjoy the challenge of learning new techniques and photographic composition. I might not always get it right, but I have great fun trying...

Tuesday 26 November 2013

Portrait of my Niece


Let's face it who does feel 100% comfortable in front of a camera? Last weekend my best buddy Ad came round and was taking portrait shots of me and I found it very different to totally relax. I think in some ways children are better are doing this than adults as although when they play up they really do so, they do seem much more able to relax when a camera is floating around. I find portrait photography quite a challenge and my preferred method is to take pictures in a natural environment rather than have the subject pose for me.

My niece Anna can be extremely mischievous when she is asked to pose for a photo. She has an ability to pull funny smiles than can only come to the surface when a camera is pointed at her. However she is also very photogenic and I love the photographic opportunities I get with her every now and then. The first photo was taken around her 6th birthday in 2012 and it was a portrait shot that she had no idea I was taking. I was able to lie on the grass in their garden quite close to her and snap away. I love the beautiful innocence, the light in her eyes and her wonderful hair.

The second photo was taken a week or so earlier at Littlewick Show near Maidenhead, which is a show that our mum has been associated with for more years than should be broadcast here. It's a lovely annual event and we always try to go there if we all can. On this particular occasion Anna's attention was diverted by ice cream, always a sure fire winner. I took a very close up shot, partly because in the photo competition at the show that year the winning portrait shot was of a similar nature so I was keen to try out that type of photography.


Finally Anna adores dogs and is desperate for a dog. Her preffered breed is pugs! She likes my two staffys Storm and Prince, but her favourite dog from that avenue is Bronson! He's a complete softy and I took this photo at a family lunch at The Cricketers at Littlewick Green on the May Day bank holiday weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment